Yin yoga is a yoga that works mainly on the joints such as the hip joint, spine, and shoulders, and the fascia that covers muscles and internal organs, based on the Chinese “Yin Yang theory” and “Yin Yang Five Way theory .”
Many poses give flexibility to the lower body such as around the waist and hips, and you can expect the effect of increasing joint flexibility.
The focus is on the sitting position, the movement is small, and you can feel the internal stimulation carefully while paying attention to breathing.
What is the difference between Yin and Yang yoga?
The origin of Yin yoga is said to be “hata yoga”, which is also the basis of many other yoga schools.
“Ha” in “Hatayoga” means “sun, sun, breath”.
On the other hand, “ta” means “shadow, moon, breath”.
“Yin: Yang” (Yin) is mainly derived from the ancient Chinese thought “ Yin Yang theory ”.
The idea is that the opposite properties of “Yin” and “Yang” are balanced, and they are combined to form one.
It is believed that it is important to aim for “moderate” rather than which is “good or bad .”
Yin and Yang are classified according to the following attributes.
Characteristics and efficacy of Yin yoga
• Hold the pose for 3 to 5 minutes
• Because the amount of exercise is not intense, beginners of all ages can easily work on it
• By maintaining the pose and applying pressure, the five major meridians are stimulated and the liver (gallbladder)・It can be expected to enhance the function of internal organs such as the heart (small intestine), lung (large intestine), kidney (bladder), spleen (stomach).
Autonomic nervous established a, adjust the balance of mind and body (adjust the balance of yin and yang) promote blood circulation, lymphatic flow better. It helps to reduce stress, anxiety, and unstable heart.
, lower body flexibility up and prevention of injuries caused by it
loosened the muscle membrane that covers the whole body, to improve the movement of the joint of visceral Revitalize
and improve the flow of energy and prana.
What is meridian?
The meridian is a passage in the body that is considered to be functionally linked to specific internal organs in ancient Chinese medicine.
It is believed that blood or yoga is called prana, and it is said that health can be maintained by stimulating the meridians and improving the flow of blood and qi.
In Yin yoga, holding a long pose stimulates five main meridians that are said to be particularly important in this meridian, and the liver (gallbladder), heart (small intestine), lung (large intestine), kidney (bladder), It is believed that it can be expected to have the effect of enhancing the functions of internal organs such as the spleen (stomach).
Yin yoga basic pose flow and method
Introducing the basic poses of Yin yoga and the flow of Yin yoga that even beginners and seniors can easily do.
Let’s start the hold time from about 3 to 4 minutes.
1. Stretching the ankle
The sitting posture not only corrects the pelvis in a neutral position but can also be expected to have the effect of opening the ankle comfortably and smoothing blood flow and lymph flow.
Roll up a towel or mat and put your instep on it until you feel comfortable and reach your instep.
・Improvement of flat feet
・Strengthening of ankle and flexibility
・Improvement of swelling
2. Butterfly pose
1) With both legs extended forward, sit down, bend one leg at a time, align the soles, grasp the toes with both hands, and bring the heel as close to the pubis as possible.
2) Stabilize the left and right ischial bones on the mat and inhale to extend the spine, and exhale to push the upper body forward.
3) Stop at a place where your back does not bend and hold a few breaths with the image of separating the tailbone and the summit.
- Improvement of menstrual pain and menstrual irregularity
- Improvement of the flexibility of the hip joint
- Improvement of coldness
3.One leg forward bend pose
1) With the left knee in an upright position, raise your left knee and tilt it outward to bring your left heel closer to your pubic bone.
2) Push out your right heel and use your breath to lean forward.
3)Put your hands together with your right foot or place them on the floor to relax your shoulders.
Stretching of the soles
Activation of internal organs
Stretching of the back
4. Lizard pose
1 ) Bend your left leg from the four crawls on the floor, and extend your right leg backward.
2) Place your left foot on the outside of your left hand and place your elbows under your shoulder.
3)Place your chest on the floor while exhaling.
If you feel that your back is tight and your posture is tight, put a block around your bent legs and thighs and sit on the block to reduce your pose.
・Increased the flexibility of the deep part of the hip joint
・Stimulate meridians (renal, hepatic, biliary, etc.) that pass through the sides of the legs,
strengthen the trunk
5. Child pose
1) From the state of sitting down, slowly depress the state and leave your body on the floor.
2) Arms should be stretched forward or placed on the side of the body and weakened to extend the back of the body.
It is a pose that stimulates pathways such as the bile, bladder, and renal passages, and enhances the functions of various internal organs.
With your knees bent, open your hips and relax your upper body between your legs.
Use props such as bolsters and blocks as needed.
・Improved flexibility ・Improvement of flat feet
・Strengthening of ankles
6. Fish pose.
1) Lie on your back with your palms facing down and put your hands under your hips.
Keep your arms and elbows under your body as much as possible.
2) While breathing, push your elbows firmly to the floor, lift your upper body to open your chest, and place your crown on the floor. Keep pushing the floor firmly with your elbows so you don’t hurt your neck.
Place one block between the shoulder blades. (The block is oriented vertically) and another is used for head support like a pillow.
(The block is horizontal) Adjust the height of the block according to your comfort. (Lower/Higher)
・Resistance to stiff shoulders
・Activate respiratory system
If you are a beginner than Yin Yoga is best, to begin with. It is simple and easy with many advantages. You can start this practice at your home and after doing this for a couple of weeks you will surely feel a great change in your life.